Author Topic: Marvel: Secret War  (Read 4997 times)

Fat*Ninja

• View Profile
Marvel: Secret War
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:39:14 AM »
Just picked this one up yesterday.  Typically the Graphic Novels and Trade Paperbacks I look for are stories off of the radar of normal continuity*, and this one kinda falls into that category.

Without going into spoilers...  This is not the glorious garbage that was the 80s Secret Wars.  I love that story arc/mini-series, but let's be honest, the story sucked.  It's great fun, but it's like eating a jar of marshmellow creme; Sure it's light and fluffy and sweet, but when you finish it you feel greasy and a little nauseous.

If you're unaccustomed to fiction that bounces between past and present, be aware that that device is here.  The changes are easy to see, but it can be jarring if you're not ready for it.

All in all, not bad.  Not great, mind you, but I'd give it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.  The artwork is not what I usually like, but I was more drawn into the story than the art.  The story itself is much more gritty and down-to-earth than some of Marvel's publications.  The writing is closer in feel to Ultimates than Avengers.  People die, people that get hurt STAY hurt, and there are dire consequences to every choice.  

And the best part is Nick Fury's files on the various Marvel universe characters.  It actually made me like Nick Fury again in the 616 universe.  If such a thing truly existed, there is no way on this earth I would want the heavy burden of leading an international watchdog organization.  Heck, I wouldn't even want to be part of it in any way.

*If you wanna know the truth, I usually only get grabby over What if?... and Elseworlds books.  They seem to explore more of the characters than the usual continuities.  We all know the basic characters, but I like the deeper development allowed in books that are outside of the norm.  I still need a copy of "In Darkest Knight".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Fat*Ninja »

redeye

• View Profile
Re:Marvel: Secret War
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »
this story line was one of those test areas for marvel. it didn't do well because the art pushed back publication dates. i remember a huge pause between issue 3 and 4 and then 5. inbetween issues they pumped out secret ware files and info issues which was the same sort of problem that killed the comic industry in the early 90s. there are some real funny bits in this book and i agree the story is more gritty, something marvel use to do a lot of and they don't anymore.

but when it comes down to dark superhero style books i have yet to find a substitute to watchmen or even dark knight returns.

-red
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by redeye »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
Re:Marvel: Secret War
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
Here's an Amazon link but it's not specific as I didn't want to pick the wrong version: Marvel: Secret War
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »