Author Topic: Wizkids files Lawsuit against WotC  (Read 3893 times)

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Wizkids files Lawsuit against WotC
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:11:44 PM »
May be a bit of old news to most people but here are some links

The Seattle Times

Gaming Report

Civil Action No. C07-0809MJP

WotC Announces CSG Patent

WizKids Sues Wizards Over 'CSG' Patent

United States Patent

Well WotC once tried to file suit to everyone that published a CCG, Too bad WizKids won't file back with CMG and random figure boosters.

I have bad feeling toward WotC ever since they screwed up D&D, AD&D, and all that implies.  

So I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about the matter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

Spartan10590

• View Profile
Re:Wizkids files Lawsuit against WotC
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:35 AM »
Well, WotC = MTG = still totally awesome, but I have to side with Wizkidz.

As far as I understand WK isn't going for money, just a court decision that would prevent WotC from suing WK over their Pirates game.

This should be interesting. I don't play the Pirates game so have no real true reason to support it, but at the same time I feel that WotC is just trying to throw their weight around so that no one else can have a model game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Spartan10590 »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:21:51 AM »
Are they going to sue these guys too?

I seem to remember them way before either of those companies came out with their punch out cards.<br><br>Post edited by: rob, at: 2007/06/06 01:24
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rob »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
Welcome to the world of patent law everyone; I deal with it everyday as part of my job is to break other companies patents in making my generic medicines... If Z cards was actually produced before WotC's product, it becomes 'prior art' (not that they're pretty), the concept of which would render a patent on punch-out game parts or models as moot. It might be just that case that Wizkids is trying for ... to invalidate the patent and protect their own investment in the punch-out cards/models market. There are too many patents being granted today that have nothing to do with someone being 'inventive' (which is one of the cornerstones an invention is supposed to have). Computers, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and several other industries pump patents into the system just to protect their products from competitors. This patent 'minefield' in essence keeps many small to medium sized companies from competing on an even footing, as a patent lawsuit, or even the threat of one, can force these companies into bankruptcy. Patents with claims that are way too broad (claiming things the inventors haven't proven with their 'invention') are being granted  and once granted become expensive to invalidate.

One of the best reasons for people to support patent reform....sorry for the 'mini-rant' but I deal with stupid patents everyday... and a little info never hurt anyone.

Cheers!

Ibson
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!