Author Topic: Things that make you go.....WHOA!!  (Read 23161 times)

parvus_machina

• View Profile
Things that make you go.....WHOA!!
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »
Thought I'd jump start this thread with an open question to the DC community:

What painting technique or style, have you seen on the net that just blows your mind? (NMM, SE-NMM, Blending a certain color, OSL, skin tones)

For me it is NMM and SE-NMM.  (Non-metallic metal and Sky/earth nmm).  I have seen some spectacular examples of blending non-metallics that the mini actually looks like a drawing.  I personally don't care to try the NMM technique for a few reasons:

1) While this is a great technique for photographed minis, in real life, it doesnt look right as the reflections do not move with the light source.
2) It does not lend itself to a "realistic" look on a mini.

While not a huge fan of this technique, I can respect the level of skill and talent that goes into achieving the affect.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by parvus_machina »
================
My Web Site
My CMON rating]

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
Re:Things that make you go.....WHOA!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
Wondered what NMM meant. Saw some examples and while they looked interesting, I agree that the shading in real life would look silly.

I've been real impressed with tartan and check patterns that I have seen lately. Also, small readable writing on minis... my hands were NEVER that steady!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

parvus_machina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »
I'd agree with you on the tartan patterns, some are truly awesome!  I have seen some articles in White Dwarf and on the net about lettering and some tips/tricks but I have yet to try it out myself.  I am usually on some kind of deadline when I paint minis and try to stick with what I know. Right now I dont have time to learn a new technique.
================
My Web Site
My CMON rating]

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:20:44 PM »
I've been using prepaints for so long I forgot what paint is.  I've always been a horrible painter, no matter how much I practiced.

I've always enjoyed the extra detail to lenses, trims on cloaks, ruins in an open magice book, that kind of thing.

Welcome back parvus_machina
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:13:35 AM »
I think NMM looks good in a diorama but agree, it can look out of place.

I'm not sure what the "official" name is but Point Source Lighting is my Holy Grail.

I can't paint anywhere near your level and I mainly do terrain but here's my lame attempt to paint lighting effects.

<br><br>Post edited by: rob, at: 2007/09/28 01:14
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »

parvus_machina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:21:50 AM »
That is great looking fire and source lighting!  I have a hard time with source lighting, and my attempts at fire are so bad, I haven't even taken any pictures.  I remember seeing this from the old site, wasn't this for the terrain contest where you had to use chicken bones?  LOL.....that was an awesome idea for a contest!
================
My Web Site
My CMON rating]

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 05:59:23 AM »
Heh. Yes. That was my entry in the Chicken Bone Contest. Great idea, not enough takers thou. Too Complex? Too Gross? Who knows.

I want to have another contest but I don't know what yet.

parvus_machina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »
Quote from: "rob"
Too Complex? Too Gross? Who knows.
I think a little of both maybe?

I want to have another contest but I don't know what yet.

Let me know if you need prize support or judging support, I would be interested in assisting with this.
================
My Web Site
My CMON rating]

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »
Quote from: "parvus_machina"
Let me know if you need prize support or judging support, I would be interested in assisting with this.

Maybe a little of both? :-)

I'm willing to put up a 60 paint set of Vallejo Game Colors. I Know Geoff will donate some Fantascene Terrain.

The first painting contest worked well because we picked a newly released mini (no old paint jobs that have seen a dozen contests) and we supplied it at cost to people that couldn't find it locally.

Maybe we should talk to Sally at Hasselfree Miniatures? :)

I'm open to any ideas though. Have you got any thoughts?

parvus_machina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »
That is a good idea.  HassleFree has a real nice line of minis.

We could also contact Reaper.  I hear they are real good about providing prize support.  I could post a request on their forum?

Or, put up a poll and let members of the site vote.  Terrain?  Mini? Diorama?  How about themed contests?  

Another idea for prizes would be custom forum avatars (if possible?) or we could try contacting Gale Force 9?  They make cool game aids.
================
My Web Site
My CMON rating]

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:13:37 PM »
I can do the poll easy enough. I'll work on that. Avatars I can do also.

We should decide on the contest first. Don't know that reaper would be happy with me giving away vallejo paint :-)

I've got a busy weekend but I'll give it some more thought. Hopefully, some of the others will pipe up with some suggestions. :whistle:

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:19:18 AM »
Hey guys.  I would like to share some of my painting experience with you.  I am not trying to brag, please realize that.  I am just trying to share, and there is a point to what I am stating.

I have done several types of painting with respect to the realism/cartoonishness (did I just make up a word?) of the minuatures.  I painted minatures before I got into MK and even went as far as to build some structures on a relatively large scale (I mean a large building for 25th scale miniatures).  

The first miniatures painting competition I entered into, I painted my subject with realism in mind and that got some respect, but didn't win me the prize.  I looked at the first, second and third place winners (I got honorable mention) and saw that all of them incorporated a cartoon-like paint scheme.  I proceeded to teach myself how to do this and before long my stuff started to resemble the cartoon schemes that seemed to be the "craze".  

Needless to say, I played around with checkers and the such and when I finished the first figure, with red and white checkers, (WH 40K Harlequin) I figured I had it down.  It took me only 6 hours to finish the leg.  It had roughly millimeter squared blocks on the leg alternating from one color to the next.  

I have since improved greatly in quality and I have gotten much faster with the painting.  I painted another harlequin with a plaid cloak a little after that.  On my favorite miniature I painted an alternating checker pattern on his loin cloth that I reversed on the back side.  I included veins on one leg, pin-striping on the other and to top it off, I painted the pages of the book with a brush that had 3 hairs on it and in some places (on the pages) I had to use a needle.  The page on the left had a gradient of a blue to black (bottom to top respectively) night sky and the siloette of a castle with lights on inside it and on the next page, the same image, except the castle was on fire.

I took a break from painting for a while (several years) after completing a few projects since then, but in 2005, I enter a painting contest at Dragon Con and won a paint set.  It was for a (at that time) relatively new Canadian company.  I did that one in 2.5 hours with the equipment and paint that they supplied to everyone.  I discovered that they were having the contest on the second day of the contest with only 3 hours left.

Chek it out.  Mine is the only one with a closeup of the fig in the bottom of the winner picture.
This is the link

...all that to say that I like realism, but it seems that the cartoonish paint jobs seem to catch more eyes.

NightCastle
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by NightCastle »

WyvernEye

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »
Did I hear painting contest?????

Tell me more!!!!

Oh, hello all... I moved, started a few jobs, yatta/yatta. I see the new site is nice and crsip looking! Nice Rob!

I have enjoyed the look of NNM, even tried it a few times with limited success. I like tatoos on figs, they look sweet. Just put one on one of my Necromancers, and am considering painting a Medusa head on her back but my freehand sucks. We'll see. My army is the Medusa's Guild. I think i will convert a few zombies to have snake parts, and what not.

So.... back to this painting contest.... :-)

Jay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by WyvernEye »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 02:59:31 AM »
wb WyvernEye :woohoo:

Got any suggestions for a painting contest?

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:07:02 AM »
Quote from: "NightCastle"
...all that to say that I like realism, but it seems that the cartoonish paint jobs seem to catch more eyes.

NightCastle
Interesting observation. I think I've never put it to words but I agree. My biggest failing as a painter is that I paint too dark. Revisiting that comment I'd have to say that I paint too real ;) (kinda funny when you're talking about things that don't exist).