Author Topic: Things that make you go.....WHOA!!  (Read 22788 times)

NightCastle

• View Profile
Re:Things that make you go.....WHOA!!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 07:20:59 AM »
Painting Contest?

Hmmm.

What about splitting it up into categories?

Various categories could include:

cartoonish and/or realism for the following:

most gory
most colorful
most elaborate
best shadowing/lighting simulation
best modification (best mod for short)
best flesh painting
best skeletal painting
best scenery
best diorama

Just some suggestions.

NightCastle
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by NightCastle »

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »
Rob, my personal preference was to paint with a realism style.  After a while, though, I saw that there were ways to pull off the more "cartoonish" paintjobs and still seem somewhat realistic.  IT is a subtle difference, but once you play with both styles, it makes it easier to mix the two styles.  I also found that bright colors can be incorporated into "dark" sculpts and still give a "sinister" or "dark" feel.  Since you already have the paints; why not try it sometime?

NightCastle

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »
Heh. You realize I'm the world's slowest painter don't you? I've tried to "brighten" up but when I get out of my comfort zone I get even slower :laugh:

I think my b:laugh: biggest real problem is to lighten up emotionally. I worry about the exactness of every step rather than just moving along. If I could relax, I might actually get more stuff painted.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 01:27:57 AM »
Quote from: "rob"
Heh. You realize I'm the world's slowest painter don't you? I've tried to "brighten" up but when I get out of my comfort zone I get even slower :laugh:

I think my b:laugh: biggest real problem is to lighten up emotionally. I worry about the exactness of every step rather than just moving along. If I could relax, I might actually get more stuff painted.

I heard some "mumbo-jumbo" a long time ago that I figured might worked.  I thought that I would give it a try (not that you would have time to try it now).  I worked on a particular style or technique of painting, then took a break for almost a year.  When I started painting again, not only was I able to paint using that technique in a better quality, but I was also able to use the technique faster.  

As I stated, you probably won't have time to try it now, but it could be something to consider.  You might not have to take such a long break.  The premise of the approach was to let your mind subconciously work things out and when you get back to doing what you were working on, your mind has figured out what you need to understand (I don't know how) to make it work.  It allowed me to paint using the technique and not have to re-think the brush strokes or amount of paint used in the process.

I can't say that this would work for other things, but it definitely helped me with painting.  Take it for what you will.  I originally thought it was "mumbo-jumbo", myself.:)

NightCastle

parvus_machina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
Quote from: "NightCastle"
The first miniatures painting competition I entered into, I painted my subject with realism in mind and that got some respect, but didn't win me the prize.  I looked at the first, second and third place winners (I got honorable mention) and saw that all of them incorporated a cartoon-like paint scheme.  I proceeded to teach myself how to do this and before long my stuff started to resemble the cartoon schemes that seemed to be the "craze".  

See the thing about mini painting contests is that it is more an "art" contest than a contest of skill.  What one judge or group of judges consider "good" another may find to be utter crap or not worthy of a top 3 place in a contest.  The judging is subjective.  "Realism" or "cartoonish"  really boils down to a judges own preference.  

Also look at the level of competition.  There are usually only 3 places in any given category.  Well, what if there are 4 or more entries that "deserve" to place?  Then it comes down to really nit-picking the pieces apart.

Changing your painting style to match the preference of a judge(s) can be a risky move as I've seen tastes change from year to year.  One year it appears as if all you have to do is make a fig from Nurgle and you'll place, another year it is dreadnaughts.  

Plus, take into consideration the contest you are at.  Is it a GamesDay?  Origins? GenCon?  I have found that GenCon is the most open of the group when it comes to a mini painting contest.  Any manufacturer and various styles have taken top honors in the past.  Plus there are the manufacturer's awards as well.

At Games Days, well, all you get is GamesWorkshop overload.  I have had some success (well, two first cuts, "somewhat" success!) when entering a GW contest by entering something from a fairly new line of minis, or something that is not done very often (avoid Space Marines, they are EVERYWHERE!).

...all that to say that I like realism, but it seems that the cartoonish paint jobs seem to catch more eyes.

I would have to disagree on this point.  When talking about harlequins, they are SUPPOSED to be brightly colored (based on the background fluff).  But I have seen "realistic" looking minis win awards.  Heck I have won some awards (Adepticon, GW hobby centers) and I consider my style to be VERY dark and realistic.

Bottom line is:  Everyone paints for different reasons.  If you are looking to win awards, then maybe changing your style with the hopes of matching the likes of a judge, is the way to go.  If you paint to sell, then there are certain techniques that collector's look for.  If you just paint because you would rather spend more time gaming, then the paint jobs may look rushed.  Just do what you love.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by parvus_machina »
================
My Web Site
My CMON rating]

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
parvus_machina wrote:
I would have to disagree on this point.  When talking about harlequins, they are SUPPOSED to be brightly colored (based on the background fluff).  But I have seen "realistic" looking minis win awards.  Heck I have won some awards (Adepticon, GW hobby centers) and I consider my style to be VERY dark and realistic. [/quote]

The miniature that I painted and entered into my first contest was the Greater Daemon of Khorne. It was a random packing of a winged demon.  It was also custom base job where the demon was walking out of a pool of blood and had a realistic look to it.  The paint that was on the axe he had was not only dripping from the axe, it was splattered on his body in such a way as to reflect the realistic spalttering from the axe hand.

All of the winners seemed to be Eldar types.  Maybe that is why I seemed to have no chance.  All of the jusdges told me that my minature was very good, but what they were looking for was the cartoonish look.  They even demonstrated to me that most of the people walking by were more visually distracted by the more cartoonish paint jobs.

It was the harlequins that I started experimenting with the cartoonish look and the more "in-your-face" details like checkers and plaid.  That was after my first contest.  

I agree that the dark stuff can be made in a cartoonish fashion as well, though, as the miniature that I was describing with the book was a chaos knight.  I painted it when I was working on mixing the dark and cartoonish looks.  

parvus_machina wrote:
Bottom line is: Everyone paints for different reasons. If you are looking to win awards, then maybe changing your style with the hopes of matching the likes of a judge, is the way to go. If you paint to sell, then there are certain techniques that collector's look for. If you just paint because you would rather spend more time gaming, then the paint jobs may look rushed. Just do what you love. [/quote]

My original reason for painting was for fun.  Then after I was encouraged to enter the contest by friends, I realized that there was something to the "cartoonish" look that I liked.  I started painting in that style initially out of a competitive spirit.  But after proving to myself that not only could I paint that way, I could better it; I started working on speed and even finer details.  In the end I do it because I love to.  So I guess you could say that my philosophy would be the same as your last sentence.

Thanks for the responces.  Keep up the passion for what you do guys!

NightCastle<br><br>Post edited by: NightCastle, at: 2007/10/10 09:40

WyvernEye

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 04:44:03 PM »
Ahhh, painting too dark. Seems to be common :-)

I also have comfort colors that I use WAY too much and have tried to paint outside my little box and try new colors and blends, really making myself broaden my spectrum, and it has yeilded much better looking minis. Get out of that "it's supposed to be this color" and go with "it would look cool if i did this instead".

I really wanted to do my undead army with purple, but red seemed to be the more appropriate color. A good friend said the purple would be hard to make work too. Even went to buy nice swirly purple dice for the army!
I painted a few red, then threw my caution to the wind and went purple, with a bright vile green for an accent. At first I didnt like it, then I loved it. I am calling my army the Medusa's Guild. I may even attempt to paint a medusa on my Necromancers back as a tatoo. We'll see, I have trouble drawing sticfk figures. The purple and green look fantastic together though, and I am not stuck in that undead red and black thing...

As for a figure for the painting contest.. will think on that. One more week of working like a perro then it's me time ...!

Sure nice to see everyone again!
J
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by WyvernEye »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 02:55:13 AM »
I did purple and gold on dark eldar... worked out well but the comment on comfort colors made me think. Mine seems to be green... looking at my models as a mass that is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »

WyvernEye

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 02:02:41 AM »
Hmmm, you dont have a large orc/goblin army do you???? :-)
Mine seems to be blue I think.

Just did my first free-hand painting on a banner this morning (other than random dwarf symbols)for my Medusa's guild. Turned out sweet I think!
Usually I cant draw worth crap. I may just have to do it as a tattoo on her back... Soo tempting...

What else is everyone painting? I am also working on the 8 College Wizards for the empire for a friend.

Fig -compatition- Someone said Hasslefree? That might be what I am thinking of too. I am at my work's computer so I dont seem to have access to all my fav. sites. At CMON they have some figs there, with a good and bad fairy, some x-mas ones, trying to think of what else. It could be privateer press. There a bit pricier though I think running into the $12 and $13US a piece. reaper would be easier to obtain though.

J

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 04:51:32 AM »
Quote from: "WyvernEye"
Usually I cant draw worth crap. I may just have to do it as a tattoo on her back... Soo tempting...

What else is everyone painting? I am also working on the 8 College Wizards for the empire for a friend.

I'v noticed that being able to draw may help, but for the most part doesn't seem to really affect painting skills.  Keep it up WyvernEye!:cheer:

I wish I had time to paint. All I seem to have time for lately is work and finishing my degree.:(

NightCastle

WyvernEye

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 02:57:04 AM »
The only reason I have time to paint is because i wake up early to do so. i havent "slept in" since May. Guess I figure 6 hours of sleep and 1/2 hour painting isnt much different than 6 1/2 hours sleep. On my days off I wake up early anyways before the kids and sneak downstairs,  repair the damage done by the 2 new kittens, and sneak in an hour. Got my mini coffee pot, mug warmer, and small fridge next to my painting table so I am ready to paint! Leaving it all set up makes me more prone to paint compared to when I used to pack it up and paint somewhere else.
If the cats would stop drinking hte painting water, I wouldnt even need to get water before painting!!!!

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 01:25:35 AM »
It is good to here from someone else who views painting as a relaxing thing.

More power to you!

NightCastle

WyvernEye

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 01:56:52 AM »
IF I didnt paint I would go stir-crazy... IT is very relaxing and is my time out from the craziness of LIFE. I try to make it a priority, second only to important things like family and work. I have started letting my son paint some of my regiment figs too, he likes seeing them displayed in with my troops, makes him happy. I field them when I play my games. He's only 5, but he enjoys it so letting him paint a few he gets to enjoy my hobby too.

J

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »
That is just awesome.  Something that you and your son can bond over.  Since he is starting so young, he will have a chance to become really good.

Karma to you my friend.

NightCastle

kboleen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 05:59:44 PM »
Personally, I'm just amazed at dry-brushing. It is the simplist technique that just about anyone can do that just "finishes" a project. Beauty in simplicity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kboleen »