Author Topic: Playing in the Mage Knight World - (part 2)  (Read 6407 times)

Six Sided Dice

• View Profile
Playing in the Mage Knight World - (part 2)
« on: June 09, 2007, 10:55:37 PM »
Where Do You Get Ideas From:

Personally, I hunt on-line for all the character bio I can find about individual figures, then I extrapolate that information into my own vision of the Mage Knight World.

My homebrew version of the Mage Knight World may deviate (sometimes quite considerably) from the official Wizkid`s world view. I tend to use the books, graphic novels, and on-line support as an inspirational aid, but beyond that... I get most my ideas from my own head, which I cement firmly into an on going campaign then I write up into battle reports, short stories and campaign journals.

... these journals actually run into several thousand pages.... and yes! I am a complete wargaming and rpg nut :silly:<br><br>Post edited by: Six Sided Dice, at: 2007/06/15 05:37
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Six Sided Dice »

Six Sided Dice

• View Profile
Re:Playing in the Mage Knight World - (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:31:37 AM »
Underworld versus the Upper-World:

I try to base most my campaign games and linked scenarios in the deep caverns and underground passages of the Mage Knight Multiverse. That way I don`t always have to deal with the troublesome `politics` of the upper world. Instead, I have created an intricate infrastructure of dungeon crawl adventures (a bit like the Hives of Warhammer 40k/Necromunda - and the Underdeeps of AD&D`s Forgotten Realms). Almost all the action in my games takes place within a myriad of spaghetti like tunnels, vast caverns, sink holes, underground lakes, underground forests, villages, and deep rock citadels and castles.

Lighting (in many places) is provided by a phosphorous moss (called Gloom-Weed) which is a prolific plant that clings to the walls and ceilings of caves and tunnels (and is also edible). Glow-Globes (Magical dwimmer lights) illuminate the more habitable areas of the Humans and Elves.

Nourishment is plentifully provided by Gloom-Weed (tastes a bit like a cross between cabbage and broccoli - when cooked), Cave Apples (taste like sweet potatoes), and a host of other subterranean plants and bushes. Meat is not scarce either, courtesy of the fast breeding parasites - the Tunnel Quigg and the Water Quigg (bit like the Tribbles in Star Trek... tastes like a cross between chicken and oyster).

But when my Heroes and Warbands do take rare excursions away from the Underworld Deeps and enter the (sometimes dubious) real world of Sun, Moon & Stars... I play my mass battles & skirmishes using a battle grid of squares... similar to the way we play games using the Horror Clix Maps.

I guess I play a mix of role play and wargame all rolled into one - bit like it used to be in the early pioneering days of Dungeons and Dragons (early on when STR still used to be Tactical Studies Rules).

All my terrain pieces - trees, rivers, hills, and buildings - fit neatly within the grids, and this way I don`t have to worry about who can see what, and which figures are in range and so on; on a grid everybody KNOWS exactly where everyone else is in relation to themselves. That`s my experience anyway.

How do you like to play YOUR games; I`d be curious to hear how others do it?

Six<br><br>Post edited by: Six Sided Dice, at: 2007/06/15 05:39

Six Sided Dice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:31:43 AM »
Did I mention that I play most my games solo?

This way, I can make my campaign a `living world` where everything is always moving (like real life). So when my (club) friends meet up to play, they can never count on things being the way they remember them from the week before.

There`s nothing more rewarding for a games host, than seeig the nervous faces of his players as they start each new session unsure exactly what might have changed since the last scenario. :unsure:

Wooohahahahahahaha   <-- devilish Hammer House of Horrors laughter<br><br>Post edited by: Six Sided Dice, at: 2007/06/12 01:41

Six Sided Dice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:17:33 AM »
Creating Believable Characters & Bringing Them To Life:

Three keys to success.

(1) Short Stories - atmosphere enhancers I call them. One page cameos about the main protagonists... sometimes even full blown stories spanning many pages at a time.

(2) Move by move & blow by blow accounts of actual games, written up into action packed battle reports.

(3) Campaign Journals, with personal asides to yourself and anyone else reading them.

-----------------------------

Short stories are the easiest. You don`t necessarily have to be a great writer to do this. How many gamers have wished they could create epic tales of their game exploits, to show to their friends and boast about in years to come? This is the ultimate dream of most players isn`t it?

But like anything worth doing well - practise makes perfect. Like learning to play a musical instrument; the more you do it, the better and more enjoyable your efforts will become in the long run.

Creating the figure`s bio`s so they `live and breathe` can be as simple as creating a list of personality traits and character history/background (like creating a PC or NPC personality in Dungeons and Dragons). Where does the character come from, where was he born, what does he like/dis-like when he`s not bashing up monsters and mage spawn, what makes him tick, etc, etc.... All in all, anything that helps you formulate a vivid image of the personality you are attempting to create for your miniature warriors.

Likewise, battle reports can be as simple as writing down that X figure moved and engaged Z in close combat, missed with his attack roll, but received a backhand slice on the counter attack which carved a large slice out of X`s arm and inflicted 2 clicks of damage on the unfortunate warrior.

Plenty of photographs of the action, and a basic narrative can create an epic journal which is both enjoyable to re-read (in the months and years ahead) and becomes a lifelong treasure you can leave behind you - maybe for your kids when you are an old fuddie duddie... maybe even show the next generation of youngsters "how Gramps did it when he was just a kid."

Campaign Journals are a combination of character bio`s, battle reports... and perhaps most important of all, are the personal side notes and `conversations` you have with yourself and anyone else who is reading your work. The chance to interject, and place yourself in the narrative by making comments and observations about the game... a diary, if you like. Posterity’s epitaph to your gaming exploits.<br><br>Post edited by: Six Sided Dice, at: 2007/06/15 13:34

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »
I have to agree, a good back story is essential to a long running enjoyment of a game. I often go back to the manual, not to learn anything but just to immerse myself in the feel of the game.

Love'em or hate'em after D&D, Games Workshop probably has the best "history". I've often thought of a short story section for the site... what do people think of that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  Someone would have to proof read them for content.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:08 PM »
Heh. I proof everything for layout anyway. I could share that ability but I'll wait until everything is finished to worry about that. Anyone else think a short story section would be good?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »

Six Sided Dice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 01:00:20 AM »
yep

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:39:26 AM »
I'll read anything...once!  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!