MageQuest > Rules

Mage Quest Rewrite

(1/8) > >>

Highland_Piper:
Yeah I'm scraping the whole thing and starting over.  This time I plan to make an organized project plan and see how that goes.

* I'm looking at doing a Mordhiem style game with Mage Knight Dungeons.
* I'm going to use Ibson's unified rules to use both MKD, MK, and MK 2.0 figures
* I'm looking at multi level boards.
* For those who don't want to make or buy 3D terrain I will make flat tiles using Campaign Cartographer.
* Yes I will be looking for help and ideas.
* If anyone has a problem with me re-writing this then I will simply change the name from Mage Quest to something else, no worries  :D
* I will provied everything except the figures, your ink and your paper.  I will make the counters and the cards.
* I will need play testers

Cards: Spell Cards, Adventure Company, Items, Domain, Encounter Cards
Tokens: Wandering Monster, Artifact, Bombardment, Level Tokens, Activation Counters, Trap Tokens, Master Monster, other tokens and counters.
Trays: Card Trays that will also keep track of your adventure company!  Not saying any more it is a secret.
3D Props: Doors for the flat tiles, 3D Traps, Adventure Company Encampments!
Tiles: Special Tiles, Tavern, Temple, Smithy, etc.
Maps: Maps of the city (of which needs to be named) Certain sections will belong to certain factions.  The city will have many levels underground, Sewers, Crypts, Deep Dungeons!
Bases!: Make your own 1.5", 3" and Multi-Dial Bases for custom figures! Ibson if you can could you make the dials for them?

I will try to keep the original feel and background of Mage Knight, while providing a new way of playing the game.

IbsontheGrey:
Count me in but let's do the projects in software everyone can get and use... and decide on that before we start getting too far into it. I already have openoffice dial creation (it can/will do the base tops as well). Let's pick an opensource paint/tiling program to use for the graphics. Even if we work in something else and convert to it, just so others can pick up where we leave off without having to spend. Paint can be done in Gimp or paint.net but which save format. I'm personally preferring png at the moment (just so we can use transparency).

What do you think?

Cheers! 8)

IbsontheGrey:
And what would we call it other than.....

MAGE QUEST 2.0   :lol:

Cheers! 8)

Highland_Piper:
If you know how to convert Photoshop to Gimp then we will save everything in GIMP.

I will be making card versions of all dials.  Granted not as great or professional as the plastic, but with pieces getting rare and sometimes over priced I'm loathed to rip figures off dials these days.  I don't have any of the multi-dials (I accept donations) and I know there where different sizes so if you (or someone) could measure them for me then I can get right on them.

For those that don't have MK or MKD figures but still wanted to give it a go they could use the Card Dials and use Paper Figures instead.

All paper size will be a mesh between A4 and N. American Letter.  That way both sides of the pond may print out with no adjustments on their part.

Everything exported to pdf.

All images flattened before exported.

What about card size?  Should we do regular deck of card size or business card size?

I want 2 versions of the rule book.  Regular and one that has alternating pages or booklet style so you can staple the center and make a portable booklet out of.

I want to combine the feel of Warhammer Quest, Rune Quest, Mage Knight Dungeons, and Mordhiem.  I want the Rule Book to reflect this.  We will need Rob for Royalty Free imagery and anyone in our little community who could draw would be nice.

I want to use our own photography in the rule book.

I want to have a general theme to Mage Quest 2.0.  A huge city divided into different section.  Different factions occupy different sections of the city.  The city would be explained somehow in the rule book.  For those that have the MK Castle pieces this would be a good time to use them as I figured the city would be fortified against invaders, inside and out.  So each Faction section would be fortified against its neighbours.  Some areas of the city would be in good condition, others in ruins.  There will be a sewer system (I will make tiles in DD3 for these), Dungeons and crypts will be aplenty, Wilderness outside the city so plenty of chances to try new types of terrain and tiles!  Mage Spawn will sometimes run a muck through the city.

I want us to write up a bit about each faction and its history.  Then a section about its history in this city.

The major goal to the game?  Well to gather treasure and be the best.  But I want some new element.  Something that is Faction Based.  Maybe Mage Stone started to crow/Crystallise everywhere within the city?

I will have to pop open my Mind Map and start organising my thoughts.

IbsontheGrey:

--- Quote from: "Highland_Piper" ---If you know how to convert Photoshop to Gimp then we will save everything in GIMP.
--- End quote ---
Just save everything in .png when finished... or is there another, OPEN format that will support full layer information. I have access to PS and PSP but not everyone does.

--- Quote from: "Highland_Piper" ---I will be making card versions of all dials.  Granted not as great or professional as the plastic, but with pieces getting rare and sometimes over priced I'm loathed to rip figures off dials these days.  I don't have any of the multi-dials (I accept donations) and I know there where different sizes so if you (or someone) could measure them for me then I can get right on them.

For those that don't have MK or MKD figures but still wanted to give it a go they could use the Card Dials and use Paper Figures instead.

All paper size will be a mesh between A4 and N. American Letter.  That way both sides of the pond may print out with no adjustments on their part.

Everything exported to pdf.

All images flattened before exported.

What about card size?  Should we do regular deck of card size or business card size?
--- End quote ---
I suggest we use business card size. The pre-perforated business card stock is readily available in all markets. No cutting will be a real plus. We don't all have robo-cutter.  :wink:  Also, you could make a 'blinder' or slider that hides all but the current click of the figure. Just a slightly wider cardstock piece with a slot to show the current click. We could put the arc/points/ faction etc... on them as well and just have a figure # on the figure. CRAP! This sounds like a whole new game mechanic. A whole new way to have changing stats linked to the figures. Some one note this down. No one else can use it. I want a patent on it! (You know JW would grab one.  :shock: )

Seriously, it would allow us to create whole new figures with the same game mechanics. (Some one should really being paying me to do this. LOL!)  :lol:

--- Quote from: "Highland_Piper" ---I want 2 versions of the rule book.  Regular and one that has alternating pages or booklet style so you can staple the center and make a portable booklet out of.

I want to combine the feel of Warhammer Quest, Rune Quest, Mage Knight Dungeons, and Mordhiem.  I want the Rule Book to reflect this.  We will need Rob for Royalty Free imagery and anyone in our little community who could draw would be nice.

I want to use our own photography in the rule book.
--- End quote ---
We shouldn't need two versions. Fairly certain adobe will automatically do booklet printing in print menu (maybe only the full acrobat will do that, don't know about the basic reader  :roll: ) Photography is easy enough, as are the diagrams like I did in the unified movement rules.

--- Quote from: "Highland_Piper" ---I want us to write up a bit about each faction and its history.  Then a section about its history in this city.
--- End quote ---
Same factions as in MK, or are we creating new ones?

Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version