Author Topic: Overlord  (Read 4102 times)

hamster_boy

• View Profile
Overlord
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
There is an older game i like called Dungeon Keeper. You were the evil lord of a sprawling underground complex, and you had to protect it from the "good guys" with traps, monsters, etc.. The game was great, but difficult at higher levels due to the dungeon vs dungeon aspect. The computer allways managed to score sweet denizens and i was running around with 2 imps and a troll.

Now there is a new game that sort of picks up the mantle of the "be the bad guy" game genre: Overlord.

http://www.codemasters.com/overlord/

You are newest tenant of a ruined tower, whose previous occupant was a scourge on the land. He is long dead, and the local "heros" have scattered the aritfacts of your powers across the realm. Fortunately, you have minions, lots of minions. Eternally loyal minions. Minions ready to get in line and start smashing things up for you, just like the good old days.

The controll is somewhat like Link: Pikmin, where you have a group of followers that you set on tasks in a RTS fantasy world, but in a 3rd person perspective. You simply "look" in the general direction of the task, and release your minions - they will do the rest. Some objectives have a mininum number of minions to accomplish, such as carrying large objects, but most are better done in the hodge-podge way that the minions work.

There are several types of minions (you only get "browns" in the demo) but unlike the creatures that lived in my Dungeon Keeper lair, they are utterly loyal. The demo is really a hoot, but is a hefty 1GB. The game is prpretty graphics-intensive, but the quality can be turned down for slower machines.

hamster
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by hamster_boy »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
Re:Overlord
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:52:35 AM »
Have the full game ... it really is a hoot! The only pity is, at least at first (don't know about later, haven't gotten there), is it is very linear. I would liked to have the option to get missions and things in a different order. FUN nevertheless.

Ibson B)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »
The screen shots look awesome!  How long does it take to play the game?  Is there an ending?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
Ending....yes there is one I beleive. Don't know how long...only been in it for a couple of hours myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!