Author Topic: GURPS Battletech  (Read 15218 times)

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
GURPS Battletech
« on: May 28, 2007, 07:49:23 PM »
This is a project that many have started and never finished so I'm going to take this up as a side project.

Most GURPS and Battletech players use most of the GURPS rules but stay with the Battletech combat rules.

I'm going to build this entirely with GURPS and keep only the setting of Battletech.

Right now I'm unsure of how to organize it, I know how to do the Equipment and Mechs, but the settings I'm still working on.

Any ideas of course would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
Re:GURPS Battletech
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:51:53 AM »
HP! :blush:

You just can't help yourself, can you. Another worthy project. I'm not the biggest battletech fan (Did get a bunch of MW figs recently however) but I'll give you a hand if you like. Let me know what you need.

Don't forget we have to finish some of the MKD stuff though. :whistle:

PM me your address again, I have another disk for you to add to your collection.

Cheers!

Ibson B)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 09:32:39 PM »
Lets try this again.  My computer locked up while replying to this.

I think we can kick out the MKD stuff in just a few months at the max (minus the paper terrain).  This project will take a long time.  :blink:

Good news about the project is that I contacted the Head Honcho over at Sarna.net and he had given me permission to use and link to any of their information.  This will cut about....two years off the project.

I'm currently working on a map in AstroSynthesis 2 of the Battletech Universe.  This will allow those with AS2 to have an interactive map of the CBT (Classic Battletech) and MWAoD (Mechwarrior Age of Destruction) universe.  The map will take time as well because I plan on putting as much Planetary info as possible in the notes sections.

Problem with the CBT maps is they are all 2D and no way of getting it to become 3D (I've tried).  It is based off of Jump Distance not real space distance (I think).  I may add a real space 3D map based off of real star Data but that in its self is a HUGE undertaking.

Spartan10590

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »
Hey guys, not sure exactly what this is about as this is only my second post here, but it's Battletech related so maybe I can help you HP.

I have always taken the BT star maps to be a 3D portion of space viewed from "above" and collapsed into a 2D image. My reasoning being that it takes the same amount of time (or about) for a jumpship to travel along a short jump path as it does to travel a long one, relative the how the 2D star map makes it look. The actual distance between these planets is much greater but because the 2D map does not take height into account it seems shorter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Spartan10590 »

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »
Yeah I think making it 3D is impossible.  the best thing to do would be to take real star data and just guess where they belong.  That in its self would take way too long.

Brad from the AstroSynthesis 2 email list was nice enough to help me import the political affiliation into AS2 so we have a good map to work from.

The great thing about AS2 is we can add planets and notes.  Also there is a GURPS Space Data plugin to help generate all of that as well!

I've almost got an Argus converted to GURPS using the 3e Mecha rules then I need to convert it to 4e.

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:08:04 PM »
Ok I purchased the official GURPS Vehicle Builder to help speed me along the path of Mech goodness!  I will have to convert it to 4e when I'm done.

I figured I will offer each mech in two forms.  Using Vehicle Design Rules and using Character Creation Rules.

I don't like using the CCR for building equipment, its kind of dumbed down and VERY easy to 'cheat' by adding disadvantages like Dependent on Pilot, or Dependency Fuel.  Laugh if you want but there are those that would do it and GM's that would allow it :angry:

I love using GVB because I get to design every aspect of the mech and it will help making each mech different instead of the Same Mech with different weapons.

I still need a bit of practice with the GVB.

I will also add a PDF Mech sheet with all the GURPS Rules and the traditional CBT check marks over the mech picture.  But I will add the actual mech to each sheet rather than the generic one that CBT does.

The GVB file will be made available also to those that have GVB.

This will still take a long time,

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:05:07 PM »
This sound real cool HP! May have to dust off the MW stuff and have a go... of course, you be designing all these mechs as 3d paper models as well, aren't you?  ;)

Cheers!

Ibson :)<br><br>Post edited by: IbsontheGrey, at: 2007/06/07 14:06
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
Quote from: "IbsontheGrey"
This sound real cool HP! May have to dust off the MW stuff and have a go... of course, you be designing all these mechs as 3d paper models as well, aren't you?

Well I'm just starting to have a go at the 3D modeling for Mechs.

Here are some that my friends have done. I made the cover sheets seen,but they made the mechs.  As most of my Paper Mech friends are covering MW3 and MW4 I think I may just start with MWAoD.

Spartan10590

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 03:12:51 PM »
Ya, we've got a lot to choose form over at MW3. I don't know what to build next. Keep me informed on what you decide to do Piper, I'd love to help in any way I can.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Spartan10590 »

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 06:46:24 PM »
Got kind of stuck on the Vehicles.  GURPS 4e does not have a concrete set of vehicle rules yet.  Many people just make the vehicles using the point system like the characters but I have a problem with that.  

I have the 3e rules and the Vehicle builder but I'm a bit hesitant to make 150+ stats in 3e only to have to reamake them in 4e when the vehicle rules finally come out.

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:52:22 PM »
Starting back into it again.  Need to take a break from paper modeling.

I have a few people over at SJG Forums helping me out and I'm getting a better idea of how to make the mechs in GURPS 3e.

I will be offering each mech in different formats to suit each persons playing style.

These formats will be

GURPS 3e (3rd edition) I will be using the Official GURPS Vehicle Builder software so it should go fast. Fairly technicall.

GURPS 4e(4th edition)  Character Building Rules.  This makes Mechs just like you would a character.  Most people are currently using this system.  It is fairly fast to make each mech.

GURPS 4e Quick Build rules.  This seems to be coming out soon and it will offer a quick vehicle style of play.  Currently the first one is out but does not offer much for mechs, just spaceships.  Although I will need this for the different spaceships in the BT world.

GURPS 4e Vehicle Builder Nobody knows when this is coming out.  This will be the traditions GURPS vehicles, very complicated.  This is where it will be concerned with the power output, drive trains, does your turret have a motor attached to it and how fast is it(and how much power does it use), etc.  

As only two rule options are available (the first two) its not that much trouble.  I know there are hundreds of mechs, but I will start with the most popular first.

As soon as the Wiki is up and organized I will post a link and any GURPS Gear Head can give us a hand with it.

Once enough is together maybe we can use some kind of internet software to play online.<br><br>Post edited by: Highland_Piper, at: 2007/10/17 00:53