Author Topic: Mage Quest Rewrite  (Read 14575 times)

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Re: Mage Quest Rewrite
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 02:47:42 AM »
Really irritated right now!  :evil:

I tried double side printing on the new format and it did not work.  So much for the Avery template.

I know for a fact that my previous business card size worked with double sided printing.  I have no way to test it at the moment as I am out of both ink and paper and will be for the next month or so (damn you Santa and your commercialized holiday)

It may be that I downloaded a N. American size template instead of a more orderly A4 size (being an American in England I have seen the light of the metric system).  If this is the case I will have to make two versions of every page.  One N. American style for the silly Letter paper and one for A4.

Not happy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of your printer woes! I'm sure it will be your printer alignment but then again, many may have the same issue... with our printers here at work, I can print double sided business cards and have everything line up with ease. A key seems to be to have everything 'center on page' in the printing options.

However, come up with something that works for you every time and it should work for everyone else.

Cheers mate!
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
O.K. Ibson,

Help me learn how to use this

Magic Set Editor

This is what I want to use.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
DL'ing it now.... let me play and see how easy (or not) it will be to use.
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »
This program is dead easy to work with HP. And it should solve the printing woes as well.

IT doesn't handle the card backs that I can see but I would go with a random type tile layout filling the backs and it should be good.

I looked at all the styles of magic cards and there should be enough variety there to do anything you want... I would create a blank starter card of each type to see the looks and decide which style will best match which type of cards you want to do. You can mix styles in each card set as well. Color, set symbols and card markings will differentiate one set from another.

The program has a print option which appear to print each card at the same size for the full set. Simply create a full page tiled back with the 'Quest xxxxxx' (xxxxxx being  chest, equipment, room, whatever) centered for the proper number of cards per page and away we go. Print enough backsheets, flip over and print the set and cut on the borders on the card side. Each page should come up with the other.

You could send out the editor sets instead of the pdf  (except the back one page pdf) and let everyone use the program... or print the sets to a pdf and insert the backs page.

Give it a try and ask any specific questions. It looks pretty easy... just don't go and be tempted to reinvent the wheel for the actual card templates. There seems to be plenty of different types already available.

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »
This program is dead easy to work with HP. And it should solve the printing woes as well.

IT doesn't handle the card backs that I can see but I would go with a random type tile layout filling the backs and it should be good.

I looked at all the styles of magic cards and there should be enough variety there to do anything you want... I would create a blank starter card of each type to see the looks and decide which style will best match which type of cards you want to do. You can mix styles in each card set as well. Color, set symbols and card markings will differentiate one set from another.

The program has a print option which appear to print each card at the same size for the full set. Simply create a full page tiled back with the 'Quest xxxxxx' (xxxxxx being  chest, equipment, room, whatever) centered for the proper number of cards per page and away we go. Print enough backsheets, flip over and print the set and cut on the borders on the card side. Each page should come up with the other.

You could send out the editor sets instead of the pdf  (except the back one page pdf) and let everyone use the program... or print the sets to a pdf and insert the backs page.

Give it a try and ask any specific questions. It looks pretty easy... just don't go and be tempted to reinvent the wheel for the actual card templates. There seems to be plenty of different types already available.

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 12:28:08 AM »
Yeah I looked at it but it made my eyes cross.  I wish it had a "How to use this for dummies" instruction manual.

I don't want to us the Magic style cards.  I'd like to make them with a Mage Knight feel to them.  I know there is a way to custom make your own, but that requires coding.  I will try to give it another go this week if I have time.  

This is why I started this project over the holidays, it was the only time for me to get anything done.  Now I'm bogged down with my own school work plus being a taxi for the children.

I'm glad you think it is Dead Easy, just means I need to find the time to study it and get started with producing our cards.  I love that the D&D 4e crowd have produced "Power Cards" with this program.  Some of them look really good.  Although I am not a D&D player any more.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
Don't think of them as 'magic style' cards, just templates. There are so many templates there, it seems a shame to not try to use them. It looks like every aspect of each template is totally customizable already. To me the only thing that would possibly force you to think Magic is the little colored square box but I would use that in our own way as an identifier.

Tell you what, put down a list of card 'types' you want to do and I will try to create one or two examples of what I would use to make them, all using the built in stuff.

Try and save you having to create an entire card set from scratch.

Cheers mate!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:33 AM »
Okay.  Try a Spell card and an Item card

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »
Will do. I am intentionally not going to look at the WK cards as my style but create new one with the same info, gleaned from BP. Give me a day or two to play.

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
Shot myself in the foot with my comment on not looking... need to dig mine out and make sure I'm putting all the info on them... will take me a bit longer. Still think using the pre-mades is the way to go though.
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

redeye

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 03:08:14 AM »
Quote from: "Highland_Piper"
I know there is a way to custom make your own, but that requires coding.

What type of coding? does the app contain it's own scripting language or something?

I would like to see cards be less verbose. Like the Uneven Ground card reading something along the lines of "Rough uneven terrain, movement hampered." That is a personal thing, I like writing that is quick and gets to the point using as few words as possible. It is also a trick I was taught during my graduate work, to get the most information across as quick a possible, it helps people retain information better.

I can recommend Paint.net for layers, it is free software. I do not know if it opens .PSD files, my other PC has crashed so i can't test that.

I have not played MKD for so long, I have no one to play with these days. I don't know the rules, figures, or game mechanics like you guys do, but I would like to get involved in this project in some way!

Cheers,
-red

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 08:10:43 PM »
New Idea completely.....

http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/Card ... esigns-313

You can have these professionally printed on real cardstock for what seems reasonable price.

Check it out. You could create pre-done decks and just share the ready to buy links with the rest of us. You can even put the rules onto extra cards and they come with plastic cases as well.

Saw this on BBG and it seems to be the rage for creating custom cards and cards for out of print games/expansions. Let me know what you think.

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »
I like the playing card idea and since the suits/numbers can be removed it doesn't really have a downside other than a minor cost. You'd have to work in multiples of 54 though :-)

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
Rob! You didn't die on us... good to see you back son!  :)

You had an explosion of replies over the weekend!

Cheers mate!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------