Author Topic: Mage Quest Rewrite  (Read 14576 times)

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Mage Quest Rewrite
« on: December 13, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
Yeah I'm scraping the whole thing and starting over.  This time I plan to make an organized project plan and see how that goes.

• I'm looking at doing a Mordhiem style game with Mage Knight Dungeons.
  • I'm going to use Ibson's unified rules to use both MKD, MK, and MK 2.0 figures
  • I'm looking at multi level boards.
  • For those who don't want to make or buy 3D terrain I will make flat tiles using Campaign Cartographer.
  • Yes I will be looking for help and ideas.
  • If anyone has a problem with me re-writing this then I will simply change the name from Mage Quest to something else, no worries  :D
  • I will provied everything except the figures, your ink and your paper.  I will make the counters and the cards.
  • I will need play testers

Cards: Spell Cards, Adventure Company, Items, Domain, Encounter Cards
Tokens: Wandering Monster, Artifact, Bombardment, Level Tokens, Activation Counters, Trap Tokens, Master Monster, other tokens and counters.
Trays: Card Trays that will also keep track of your adventure company!  Not saying any more it is a secret.
3D Props: Doors for the flat tiles, 3D Traps, Adventure Company Encampments!
Tiles: Special Tiles, Tavern, Temple, Smithy, etc.
Maps: Maps of the city (of which needs to be named) Certain sections will belong to certain factions.  The city will have many levels underground, Sewers, Crypts, Deep Dungeons!
Bases!: Make your own 1.5", 3" and Multi-Dial Bases for custom figures! Ibson if you can could you make the dials for them?

I will try to keep the original feel and background of Mage Knight, while providing a new way of playing the game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
Re: Mage Quest Rewrite
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
Count me in but let's do the projects in software everyone can get and use... and decide on that before we start getting too far into it. I already have openoffice dial creation (it can/will do the base tops as well). Let's pick an opensource paint/tiling program to use for the graphics. Even if we work in something else and convert to it, just so others can pick up where we leave off without having to spend. Paint can be done in Gimp or paint.net but which save format. I'm personally preferring png at the moment (just so we can use transparency).

What do you think?

Cheers! 8)
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »
And what would we call it other than.....

MAGE QUEST 2.0   :lol:

Cheers! 8)
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:50:51 PM »
If you know how to convert Photoshop to Gimp then we will save everything in GIMP.

I will be making card versions of all dials.  Granted not as great or professional as the plastic, but with pieces getting rare and sometimes over priced I'm loathed to rip figures off dials these days.  I don't have any of the multi-dials (I accept donations) and I know there where different sizes so if you (or someone) could measure them for me then I can get right on them.

For those that don't have MK or MKD figures but still wanted to give it a go they could use the Card Dials and use Paper Figures instead.

All paper size will be a mesh between A4 and N. American Letter.  That way both sides of the pond may print out with no adjustments on their part.

Everything exported to pdf.

All images flattened before exported.

What about card size?  Should we do regular deck of card size or business card size?

I want 2 versions of the rule book.  Regular and one that has alternating pages or booklet style so you can staple the center and make a portable booklet out of.

I want to combine the feel of Warhammer Quest, Rune Quest, Mage Knight Dungeons, and Mordhiem.  I want the Rule Book to reflect this.  We will need Rob for Royalty Free imagery and anyone in our little community who could draw would be nice.

I want to use our own photography in the rule book.

I want to have a general theme to Mage Quest 2.0.  A huge city divided into different section.  Different factions occupy different sections of the city.  The city would be explained somehow in the rule book.  For those that have the MK Castle pieces this would be a good time to use them as I figured the city would be fortified against invaders, inside and out.  So each Faction section would be fortified against its neighbours.  Some areas of the city would be in good condition, others in ruins.  There will be a sewer system (I will make tiles in DD3 for these), Dungeons and crypts will be aplenty, Wilderness outside the city so plenty of chances to try new types of terrain and tiles!  Mage Spawn will sometimes run a muck through the city.

I want us to write up a bit about each faction and its history.  Then a section about its history in this city.

The major goal to the game?  Well to gather treasure and be the best.  But I want some new element.  Something that is Faction Based.  Maybe Mage Stone started to crow/Crystallise everywhere within the city?

I will have to pop open my Mind Map and start organising my thoughts.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »
Quote from: "Highland_Piper"
If you know how to convert Photoshop to Gimp then we will save everything in GIMP.
Just save everything in .png when finished... or is there another, OPEN format that will support full layer information. I have access to PS and PSP but not everyone does.
I will be making card versions of all dials.  Granted not as great or professional as the plastic, but with pieces getting rare and sometimes over priced I'm loathed to rip figures off dials these days.  I don't have any of the multi-dials (I accept donations) and I know there where different sizes so if you (or someone) could measure them for me then I can get right on them.

For those that don't have MK or MKD figures but still wanted to give it a go they could use the Card Dials and use Paper Figures instead.

All paper size will be a mesh between A4 and N. American Letter.  That way both sides of the pond may print out with no adjustments on their part.

Everything exported to pdf.

All images flattened before exported.

What about card size?  Should we do regular deck of card size or business card size?
I suggest we use business card size. The pre-perforated business card stock is readily available in all markets. No cutting will be a real plus. We don't all have robo-cutter.  :wink:  Also, you could make a 'blinder' or slider that hides all but the current click of the figure. Just a slightly wider cardstock piece with a slot to show the current click. We could put the arc/points/ faction etc... on them as well and just have a figure # on the figure. CRAP! This sounds like a whole new game mechanic. A whole new way to have changing stats linked to the figures. Some one note this down. No one else can use it. I want a patent on it! (You know JW would grab one.  :shock: )

Seriously, it would allow us to create whole new figures with the same game mechanics. (Some one should really being paying me to do this. LOL!)  :lol:
I want 2 versions of the rule book.  Regular and one that has alternating pages or booklet style so you can staple the center and make a portable booklet out of.

I want to combine the feel of Warhammer Quest, Rune Quest, Mage Knight Dungeons, and Mordhiem.  I want the Rule Book to reflect this.  We will need Rob for Royalty Free imagery and anyone in our little community who could draw would be nice.

I want to use our own photography in the rule book.
We shouldn't need two versions. Fairly certain adobe will automatically do booklet printing in print menu (maybe only the full acrobat will do that, don't know about the basic reader  :roll: ) Photography is easy enough, as are the diagrams like I did in the unified movement rules.
I want us to write up a bit about each faction and its history.  Then a section about its history in this city.
Same factions as in MK, or are we creating new ones?

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »
Quote from: "IbsontheGrey"
Just save everything in .png when finished... or is there another, OPEN format that will support full layer information. I have access to PS and PSP but not everyone does.

I think I can export all layers to png.  So that will work.

I suggest we use business card size. The pre-perforated business card stock is readily available in all markets. No cutting will be a real plus. We don't all have robo-cutter.  :wink:  

The only problem with that is choosing a Company to use as a standard and we would still have to make two version, A4 and Letter size.

Also, you could make a 'blinder' or slider that hides all but the current click of the figure. Just a slightly wider cardstock piece with a slot to show the current click. We could put the arc/points/ faction etc... on them as well and just have a figure # on the figure. CRAP! This sounds like a whole new game mechanic. A whole new way to have changing stats linked to the figures. Some one note this down. No one else can use it. I want a patent on it! (You know JW would grab one.  :shock: )

Seriously, it would allow us to create whole new figures with the same game mechanics. (Some one should really being paying me to do this. LOL!)  :lol:

Not quite picturing this one.  That sounds just like a normal dial.  The top being the slider that hides all but the current level.  The middle being the dial.  Then a base to mount it on.

We shouldn't need two versions. Fairly certain adobe will automatically do booklet printing in print menu (maybe only the full acrobat will do that, don't know about the basic reader  :roll: ) Photography is easy enough, as are the diagrams like I did in the unified movement rules.

Adobe will not automatically do booklet.  I could purchase a plug in, I think there are some free ones as well.  I think CS4 corrects this.

Same factions as in MK, or are we creating new ones?

Same factions.  However the Mage Knight website is down and any new people would be clueless on what was what.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:19:56 PM »
Avery is the standard company to use and easy to buy everywhere. I BELIEVE they make a standard business card that would print the same on A4 and letter (the borders are different). Else-wise we design our own that does the same thing and we just cut.

You have the 'picture' on the card bit. I have sliding card stock things here at work that show conversions thru slots on the card... the dial just becomes a card sized slider with all the info on it and we can just put an identifier on the figures. I'll try to create a demo of one... but imagine a Battleplanner style dial printout covered by a card showing on one 'click' at a time. 12 clicks on a side and you could flip the card to have titan sized dials.

Brouchure printing is an option built in to Openoffice though... our printers here at work will also do it automatically ( I knew I was presented that option somewhere).

Anything else we have missed... I will certainly create templates for you to use to create all you want. It's one thing I'm pretty good at. You just supply all the hard work filling the templates.

Cheers mate!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »
Tokens = Avery  C2243.  These are label papers so just peel and stick to card.

Cards = Avery C2364, C2365, C2366, C2367, C32010, C32011, C32014, C32016, C32020, C32021, C32022, C32023, C32029, C32040, C32094, C32095, C9362

I've already made the Illustrator templates for these.  I will do the background images in Illustrator.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
So what help do you want on this right now?

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:17 AM »
Organisation for one! LOL

Layout of the rule book.  How we are going to run the games.  Making tiles.  Setting and backdrop.  All that good stuff.

If you take a look some of these tiles you should begin to see what I envision for those not using 3D terrain.  It would be great if you had CC3 and add ons. However that should not matter.  we just have to make sure that the tiles will fit together.  I will be using 3D terrain.  The new terrain linx system from World Works Games allows modularity and I can break it down and store it just as easy as tiles now!

Mordheim has survived for well over 20 years.  Even when GW placed it in the back cupboard it was still being played at conventions.  It is a game with a good back story and fun scenarios.  I want us to come up with the same feeling for Mage Quest 2.0

I want Domain cards for specific areas in the city.  That way players go, "Ok we are playing a Necropolis Sect map.  Watch out for any graveyard cards and watch out for (insert adventure company name here), as they may pop up."  Or they play an Atlantean Empire map and someone draws a Dwarven Tavern card and the whole table screams "YES!" all at the same time.

I'm all for endless possibilities.

So what help do I want now?  I'd like to start to organise what we want out of this.  Otherwise it will sink before we get started like the last Mage Quest.

Rules and Random Thoughts

• We have the base rules.  Your unified movement rules are great!  Your Unified SAC card is perfect!
  • We need to add rules for elevation. Maybe each level counts as 1 or 2 range then count from the figure to the target?
  • Need to add the rules for the cards and token in
  • In the last version of MQ (Mage Quest) you could draw more than one Domain card as the effects stayed in just that room/tile.  I think for the city you could do the same thing.  1 overall domain card outside, then maybe draw a few more for individual houses
  • Terrain Cards: I want to just have certain tiles always having the same rule.  Like the Vine Pillar from MKD.  So a graveyard tile will have a special rule, city park will have a special rule, Dwarven Tavern, etc.
  • Experience, I was thinking that all left over experience can be turned into gold and saved.  All items will have gold value attached to them.  The players Adventure Group starts out at 100 points as usual.  Each game they revert back to level one.  So it will be the items they earn or purchase that will make them more powerful.  Plus I want the player to be able to recruit other heroes.  That will also cost gold (not sure how to do it, but make it expensive) and then they will have more choices per game.  That is right.  Once you pick your Adventure party then your stuck with those core 100 points.
  • I'd like us to come up with monthly scenarios if possible.  Games that are not supported die easily
  • I'd like to see the vehicles play more of a part in the city level.  I'd also like to make new vehicles like Ox and Cart, carriage that will be encounters and be purchased by the Adventure Party
  • What's to keep an Adventure Party/Company from getting too powerful?  Well I figured we could give penalties that cost gold, events that cause them to loose a recruited figure, taxes, theft, etc.
  • Multi Level Boards are easy to figure out with 3D terrain, but we should add a section on how to do it with tiles.  For housing we can just place each floor tile over the lower one.  We just need to make sure there are examples in the rules.
  • Random Map set up:  Do we want to try this?  We could use single tiles or multi-tile Geomorphs
  • Token Activation: I was thinking that in city maps that a player can activate a WMT that way they can pick a group of ranged figures to attack opponents.
  • I want the rules to be ordered logically and explain everything clearly.  A mate of mine is constantly making mistakes (he just started playing MKD), he thought the cost of the Heroes was the number on the top of the dial instead of the listed one on the bottom.  So well organised and plainly indicated.  And I want an index.

Cards and Tokens

• How detailed should the graphics be?  I don't want generic B&W, but nothing over done either.
  • For the tokens I thought maybe one solid colour or if blended not too much.   No need to try to match the tile texture as they will be constantly different
  • The cards I want more than just one colour and a border.  Something that stands out and says I'm differnt while still allowing the players to read them easily.

[attachment=3:1db9uyn3]WMT.png[/attachment:1db9uyn3]

[attachment=2:1db9uyn3]DomainCards1-10.png[/attachment:1db9uyn3][attachment=1:1db9uyn3]DomainCardsFronts.png[/attachment:1db9uyn3]

[attachment=0:1db9uyn3]TreasureCards1-10.png[/attachment:1db9uyn3]

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 06:59:07 AM »
We could also use the lines like they did in the final Mech Warrior tiles.

Yellow outline = Access points

Red outline = Blocking terrain

Green outline = Hindering terrain

Blue outline = Water terrain

Orange outline = Abrupt Elevated Terrain

The tiles looked really nice.

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:05:31 AM »
Sorry, I'm late to the game... Christmas is a real busy time for me.

Png files don't support layer and only have one level of transparency. They are good as an end result for line drawings and solid colour images. If it's a photograph a jpg is better. I'd suggest the "working files" be PSD (photoshop) as GIMP or any other program worth it's salt can handle them.

For collaboration, I'd suggest MS Onenote on a shared Dropbox file (If you don't have dropbox, you should. Get a dropbox here.) I have Onenote and HP should as he's a student  :lol: )

Booklet printing is *usually* a function of the printer so doesn't need software.

I'll start to update this topic on free tools: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1996

I have to run to work... I'll post more later.

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
I know PNG does not support layers, I was thinking of exporting each layer as a png.  But if GIMP can open photoshop files then no problems.

[attachment=0:2979smh3]WMT-Backside 1.png[/attachment:2979smh3]

Here is my Wandering Monster Tokens.  Not much difference here except it says MK Quest instead of MK Dungeons.  Also added concept of the Bounty token.  Before the game you could choose one or two of these.  In this case it would need to be up to 200 points of Necropolis Sect figures.  Probably a Adventure Company.  Granted 200 points is a bit much, but you get the picture.  Works much like the Unique token from the Heroic Quest sets but is more faction specific, which fits in well with my idea of Mage Quest.

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 05:21:07 AM »
Here is a blast from the past.  WAY back in Dungeon Crawlers we had a member that brought us this idea from a French MK site (which I can no longer find).

[attachment=0:3ks4068v]MKD_xp.jpg[/attachment:3ks4068v]

I plan on using a similar design for some cards.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
Jeez,

I go on holiday and you all get busy.

Elevation- I did some good rules on that for Khasim's scenarios... should be on the site here. Have a look at those. They fit well with the unified movement rules.

I like the dummy cards but we should probably drop the Wizkids and MK logos off of them. No legal hassles that way, especially if someone re-launches it. We can always say in the rules header 'For use with MK figures.'

I think the 'blast from the past' was from Lea's site.  The idea however, still has some legs in it.

That's it for the moment anyway, until I'm back home...

Cheers boys!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------