Author Topic: any tip for a noob dm  (Read 6585 times)

popolocrois

• View Profile
any tip for a noob dm
« on: July 17, 2007, 06:23:19 PM »
well friends,the next friday iam going to dm my first game,any ideas.iam prety nervous,despite the fact that iam gona use the basic game pack :pinch: : (lol)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by popolocrois »

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Re:any tip for a noob dm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:55:51 AM »
I would love to help but it has been 8 years since I RPG'd

I guess main thing to remember is to allways look like your in control even when your not.  Learn how to make things up (not rules but situations) when you need to and just act like it was all part of the plan.

Know your rules.

Good Luck and let us know how it went!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

hamster_boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
Highland is right. Part of being the DM is just going with the flow. Dont be a plot-hammer - if the party isnt doing what you "want" them to do, let them spin their tires for a bit. A freindly NPC or scrap of a clue can get them back on track. .

I like to think of dungeon adventures as a series of chunks. Typically, we could be talking about a room, or cavern, etc, but even an open plain or dense urban area can be broken down into managable chunks. Know the sorts of things you will need to know in each chunk - monsters, treasures, NPCS, traps, etc. Everything else can be fluff or red herring. Index cards are great for this. Do a little prep work and write down the things you will want to remember. The act of writing them will probably make you remember them anyway, but if not you can glance at your card. They change chunks, you change cards.

The most important rule is to have fun. Forget 'Chart 5C on Page 45' or whatever, and just say "...the fireball singes your hair, and damages the map in your pocket" if that's what you want. Anyone complains, tough. That is what happens. This isnt you vs them, its a shared storytelling. Keep them busy and they wont have time to complain.

Last rule - dont roll for everything. They want to start a fire, fine, go for it. They want to start a fire on a craggy mountain peak, with gusting wind and damp moss for fuel, Houston, we have a die roll.  

hamster
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by hamster_boy »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »
Good hints from both of the boyz. I'd chime in with a tip of my own. A good flow chart of the adventure with multiple paths to the same end is a priceless bit of planning. Multiple paths give the players the impression they are in control even when they are going exactly where you need them to go to be prepared.

An example, say you plan encounters roughly in the order of A to B to C to D. If you add in just one more, 'E', that you may or may not use, you can give the players a huge choice and let them decide. They can now travel the path of A-B-C-D or A-E-C-D. The players then feel as if they influenced the course of the adventure and weren't so much riding along with the story. The 'big' choice may only be going by the river route versus the mountains or something more creative as fling there on giant eagles versus traveling via the underdark caverns. Plan to give the players options, they'll love you for it. And you can always re-use the 'unused' encounters in the next adventure.

And always give a player's creative ideas a 'chance' to work, even if it destroys your planning. Nothing frustrates a player than to have what he feels is a great idea shot down without a chance.

Cheers!

Ibson
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

popolocrois

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
thanks to all the help,you have bring me somes ideas,unfortunetly the cesion have been delayed to some day of the next week,well its give me time to prepare me and make a litle surprise.

thanks to all!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by popolocrois »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:18:33 AM »
Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rob »

kboleen

• View Profile
Re: any tip for a noob dm
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:25:30 AM »
I know this thread is several years old but I thought I would chime in on a DM learning experience I had. I was actually GM'ing a Shadowrun game. I was a new GM and one particular player would not follow the plan of the game. He was always going off opposite directions the game was going. At the time I was greatly exasperated but looking back, it forced me to come up with inventive ways of getting the game back on track without showing my exasperation to the rest of the group.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

rob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
Heh. Shadowrun is still around and you can get free quick start rules here:

http://www.shadowrun4.com/quickstart/

Thunderbelly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »
Go learn the D10 System instead!

(White Wolf Publishings Mage, Vampire, Werewolf, Aberrant... etc)

lucabbedirectory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 08:35:01 PM »
I'm a noob too  ;D maybe I'll check this forum site for some tips.  - Business Listings