Author Topic: Apocalypse Storm Dragon?  (Read 6942 times)

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Apocalypse Storm Dragon?
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:37:05 AM »
Apocalypse Storm Dragon?  Is this a scam?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
Re: Apocalypse Storm Dragon?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
Rumour has it these exist but it certainly isn't worth $125 even if it is real. Somebody is spending too much money and it might be to their heartbreak.

Cheers! 8)
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
Quote from: "Highland_Piper"
Apocalypse Storm Dragon?  Is this a scam?

Hey guys!  I don't know if you remember me, but I have posted a few times within the last couple of iterations of DungeonCrawlers.  I finally got all of the MK:Dungeons heroes.  

I can't see the link as it was taken down, but in 2009 I sold the Storm Dragon and got a surprising price of approximately $125 for it.  I actually got one because of the Best Buy mail-away.  Then, just a few months before Topps WizKids went away, I got another in the mail for free.  So, in 2009, I needed some money and sold it.  I was greatly and pleasantly surprised when it sold for that much.  I am pretty certain that the link went to my auction.

But, I do assure you, it does exist.  I have it and can show pictures if you would like.  My item (whether or not your link was to my auction or not) was not a scam.

I will check back some time within the next week and see if you would like some pictures.  Oh and by the way, the base was placed backwards on both.  I don't know if you ever heard about the base being backwards on that release, but it was.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
I'd certainly like to see pics. I did hear it was based backward at a later point... supposedly that was why it didn't get  put out widely.

And you got 2. Some good luck for you I suspect. Glad it helped you out of a money bind then. It seemed (and still does) a lot of money for a figure from what was a 'dead' game at the time.

Thanks for letting us know... and to see yours.

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
Here is a pic of the Apocalypse Storm Dragon (actually called "Dragonform").   As it was suppose to be the alternate form of the Draconum character in the Apocalypse computer game.

Look Familiar?
[attachment=6:2mqodo17]IMG_1102.jpg[/attachment:2mqodo17]

I placed the original and the newer one side by side (sans wings for easier viewing) so you could see how the dials differed.
[attachment=5:2mqodo17]IMG_1104.jpg[/attachment:2mqodo17]

Then I took a closeup of the side with the name and the dial and you can se that the wing symbol is viewable on the dial.  Also, notice how the rear stats (especially the number of arrows and amount of ranged damage) seem like they should be at the front.  Either that or this dragon has some real issues with gas.
[attachment=4:2mqodo17]IMG_1105.jpg[/attachment:2mqodo17]

This model came with a special Mage Knight Apocalypse base that it clicks into.  I don't think it has any real purpose other than for display.
[attachment=3:2mqodo17]IMG_1110.jpg[/attachment:2mqodo17]

Also, apparently, this was one of 8000 made, so I took a picture of the numbering.
[attachment=2:2mqodo17]IMG_1112.jpg[/attachment:2mqodo17]

As part of the Apocalypse computer game advertising campaign, the Apocalypse computer game character set was released and the four on the left came in a box set that was mail away from the WizKids site.  Do you recognize the one on the far right?  Have you ever seen her before?
[attachment=1:2mqodo17]IMG_1114.JPG[/attachment:2mqodo17]

In case you haven't, I took a closer picture of the dial.  Her name is Huntress Chela.  She was also a mail away like the Dragon.  Like the fact that you had to buy the Apocalypse game at participating BestBuys to mail away to get the dragon, she was only available to people who bought a computer gaming magazine and sent away for her.  I have seen her go for over $120 by herself on eBay.  I lucked out and got in on the promotion just after it ended and Rose (former WK employee) allowed me to get her for the $4.99 shipping price.
[attachment=0:2mqodo17]IMG_1120.JPG[/attachment:2mqodo17]

Thunderbelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
So they just restated the frost drac and re-relased it???

LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Quote from: "Thunderbelly"
So they just restated the frost drac and re-relased it???

LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

Yep, as far as the sculpt went. They did change the dials and the range, speed and bonus stats on the dial.   However, they didn't include the section lines and put it on the base backwards. Oh yeah, and they included the nifty base to put it in.

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
I have two sets of the figures and sought out the magazine and managed 2 of Chela as well but getting the dragon just seemed way to hard. No one around seemed to actually be able to acquire one. Thanks for sharing your info on it. A shame they only went halfway with it. I suspect it was marketing people who put it together as MK was well on it's way downhill when the game actually released.

Cheers!
Ibson the Grey   8)
--------

popolocrois

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
I have one of those dragons  8)  managed to buy the game and send the mail thing through some acquaintances of my relatives living on usa(actually now that I come to think about it I am pretty amazed that I managed acquire it) I wanted to get chela and the others too but the magazine got sold out pretty quickly and it seems that he had troubles ordering the other 4. To make it playable you have in fact to open the miniature and invert the head and tail dials.That pretty sucked.

Thinking on buying some frost dragons and make customs for those who couldn't get them....

NightCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
Yeah the link for the others was problematic and it took some trying to get the orders to go through successfully. I lucked out in my getting the Chela fig because of the magazine issue. Fortunately, Rose was a good sport and let me order after I explained that the magazine was practically impossible to get.