Author Topic: Modular Dungeons  (Read 9191 times)

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Modular Dungeons
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:19:37 PM »
THE PLAN

So I'm starting my modular dungeons using Hirst Arts molds.  I'm going to start with the Fieldstone as the majority of my molds are from that line.  I'm making these for RPG's not Mage Knight Dungeons so I will not be making an obvious grid pattern.

I had originally thought of making them like I do with World Works Games Chunky Dungeons.  However after a while I figured it would be just too much of a hassle dealing with all those small pieces.  Great for paper as the smaller the pieces the more resistant to damage.

SIZE
So I am going to do mine in 6" tiles.  I'm also using Sketchup to plan out my models in advance.

The walls I think will be two inches high, quarter inch floor and mounted on quarter inch PVC Board.  That gives me a total height of two and a half inches (2.5")

BASING
I will be using PVC Board to mount the dungeons on.  PVC is the same type of material you see in the white plastic plumbing.  The boards are 5mm thick (1/4 inch) the same thickness of Foam Board but MUCH stronger.  I will  be cutting Bowtie notches in them so the dungeons can be connected securely.

LEVELS
I want to do multi-leveled dungeons.  On the Hirst Arts site Bruce suggests mounting the dungeons on Blue Foam.  Great!  Blue Foam is difficult to find in the UK.  I want a multi-level Diablo feel to it but having the multi-levels all on a single table and connected.

I was thinking of doing it in one inch increments and just basing the foam on PVC board and placing bricks on the outside of the risers.  So I would need several 1" spacers on PVC Board and several 2" Spacers on PVC, possibly 3" and 4" as well.  This way I can take the original dungeons and just place them on the spacers instead of having to create whole new dungeon pieces for each height.  Some dungeon pieces would be special at the different height levels so they would always be one solid piece.

Doors
The doors and stairs would all be modular so I could take them out when not needed.  This will save me the trouble of having to make extra tiles that I may not often use.  I would also make walls that can slide into corridors to make dead ends.

Well that's my plan so far.  I would love to hear some comments whether it be criticism or suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

IbsontheGrey

• View Profile
    • Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures
Re:Modular Dungeons
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:37:25 PM »
HP,

Any source of cheap plexiglass to mount on? You could even use off-cuts that you might be able to pick up for less.

Just a thought for thin, light backing. Plexi-tubes could be used as spacers for levels as well.

Cheers mate!

Ibson
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IbsontheGrey »
Ibson the Grey   8)
"Pity I was born 500 years too late, I'd been a great knight!"
Mage Spawn! Shoot'em all... let GOD sort it out!
--------
Visit Ibson's Dungeons' Adventures, NOW!

Highland_Piper

• View Profile
Re:Modular Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
That is a good suggestion IbsontheGrey and I will look into that when I go to the DYI this weekend.

My next dilema is figuring out how many pieces to build as a basic dungeon.  

Coridoors = ?
Rooms = ?
Modular Rooms = ?
Multi-Level Rooms = ?

I have a nice idea for an X juntion that actually acts like two L-junctions

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Highland_Piper »

benjaminhamilton1

• View Profile
Re: Modular Dungeons
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 03:45:12 AM »
We found out the most effective strategies which they work, and we are heading to report some strategies you may defend your self. As avid Old fashioned Runescape players, all of us want the next finest merchandise, or the subsequent 99, however as soon as we see the worth it takes, we immediately get discouraged. Now, almost everyone that plays Runescape seriously can, in the event that they needed to, get a rune 2-hander. They go for around 30-50k OSRS gold - round 3% of what they went for earlier than. We must defend our accounts from these hacking teams, so our group went undercover into 1 of those password-stealing scams.

aldenbaigan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »
It's always better than Minecraft I think.https://tampacopierservice.com/premier-copiers-largo-fl/

jackslesly19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »
Awesome! Can't wait to see the final design.. YAY! 8)

By the way, do you want to see my work? Click here